So, you want to help people live longer in Thanet.
We need an army of volunteers to help the inactive become active!
Young or old(er) anyone can become a
Get Out - Get Active 'ACTIVATOR'!
What do our Volunteers do?
As a GOGA Activator you would…
- Help promote being active in Thanet
- Research activities taking place in local community that anyone inactive could attend
- Help an individual who is inactive identify local suitable activities for them
- Support an individual to be able to attend activities in their community by going along with them
- Have the abilty to motivate an inactive person to undertake just a small amount of activity i.e. walking to end of road etc.
- Encourage social physical activity to help reduce isolation
- Share the ‘journey’ of the individual with others
- Research activities taking place in the local community that would suit the needs, lifestyles and interests of our participant
What Makes a Great 'ACTIVATOR'?
- The ability to be emphatic to others
- An understanding of barriers to people taking part in physical activities.
- For example, issues with health, transportation, lack of information or personal confidence
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to travel to various locations via public transport if required
- Interest in physical and social activities
- Previous experience in supporting others. This could be through a previous work role or as part of your life experiences such as supporting family members or friends
- An ability to keep good record
- A DBS check – we can organise this for you
In return, you will get:
- A full induction and subsequent support in your role from the project leader
- A uniform
- Experience – plus a written reference after 6 month's service (at discretion of the project leader)
- The opportunity to benefit from the Your Leisure Employee Discount scheme, including free off-peak gym membership
Have You Got What it Takes to be a GOGA 'ACTIVATOR'?
For further information or an informal discussion about volunteering contact our GOGA Coordinator Sarah Johnson on 01843 296687 or email GOGA@yourleisure.uk.com
Can't wait - and want to get started right away, then click on the application pack above to be directed to the download page.